Volunteer With Us
Each day, people turn to Samaritans WA for emotional support. On the other side of a phone call or as part of our face-to-face services, they find a caring listener ready to talk things through.
Help strengthen our community
We are seeking like-minded people who are responsible, punctual, capable for working together as members of a team and able to keep the commitments they make.
Samaritans WA Volunteer Counsellors vary in age, come from diverse backgrounds and cultures and the entire spectrum of careers. You don’t need to worry about having any prior training. We ask that you:
- Connect with our mission of suicide prevention through emotional support
- Follow our model of not giving advice or offering your opinion
- Provide a safe and nonjudgmental place for people who engage with us
- Practice open and honest communication
- Commit to volunteering for a minimum of 100 hours over twelve months after training completion
- Follow the organisation’s policies and procedures
The journey to become a Samaritans WA Volunteer Counsellor involves a number of steps, illustrated below. Please note that we are based in Western Australia and all of our training is facilitated in person at our Subiaco premises.